Why should you make this egg roll in a bowl recipe?
Egg roll in a bowl recipe: This deconstructed egg roll is an easy, nutrient-dense meal that can be thrown together quickly and is a great way to get lots of vegetables! You get the tasty inside of an egg roll without the deep fried shell. Throw it over rice for a complete meal or leave out the rice for a low carbohydrate option. I used beef in this recipe but pork is used most often for egg rolls.
Total time: 25 minutes
- 1 pound ground pork or beef
- 3 green onions sliced with green and white parts separated
- ½ yellow onion diced (about ½ cup) Learn the easy way to dice an onion
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger grated or ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 (8 ounce) can of water chestnuts drained and chopped
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 (14 ounce) bag of coleslaw mix (shredded cabbage and carrots)
- 3 tablespoons coconut aminos or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Brown beef or pork in a large pan over medium heat breaking up the meat while cooking, about 5 minutes.
- Set meat aside, leaving grease in pan.
- Add white parts of the sliced green onion, diced yellow onion, and garlic to pan and sauté for 3-4 minutes until onions are slightly soft, stirring frequently.
- Add ginger, water chestnuts, and hot sauce to pan and cook for 3 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add coleslaw mix, coconut aminos, rice wine vinegar, pepper, and salt. Cook until coleslaw mix is soft, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes.
- Add meat back into pan and mix
- Serve over rice or by itself with extra hot sauce or coconut aminos on the side. Garnish with green onions.
*If using very lean ground pork, you may need to add 1-2 tablespoons of oil to pan before browning meat
Find more recipes here